Wednesday 14 September 2016

First Long Haul Trip

5 months after my surgery I took my first long haul flight.  The flight was approx 11.5 hours and was travelling to West Coast USA so to a hotter country than the UK.  

For the actual flight itself I wore: Solidea Arm Sleeves., some Marks & Spencer firm compression thigh shorts/pants and Sigvaris Comfort tights.

I took a bag with me to put on the floor as a footrest, so I could get some more comfortable elevation of my feet, rather than trying to keep them on the little footrest from the seat infront.  

I made sure I was in my compression from early in the day before I flew, so I was starting off with very little swelling - other than the arm sleeves which I forgot to put on and had to pull them on in the airplane loo!  I also kept the compression on at the other end until I got to my hotel when I removed my arm sleeves.  

In flight I did some walking and stretching but nothing exceptional, and just checked my compression for wrinkles/ensured it was staying in place from time to time.  

On arrival at my hotel I found my ankles were around 1-1.5 cms larger than normal.  This took a few days to go back down.  Do bear in mind that I did not have liposuction below the knees, so this could be a normal part of my lymphatic circulation and so doesn't mean this will happen to anyone else.  

I didn't have all my measurements with me so can't be quite sure if I was bigger all the way up my legs or not.  

I had no pain or discomfort.

I wore my compression garments daily, wearing a combination of the Sigvaris Comfort Class  2, Sigvaris Diaphane Class 3 (so the same mmHg as different class system) and Mediven Ellegance Class 2.  The Comfort were the coolest and most comfortable in the heat but the ellegance were OK too.  

The main thing I did that I think got my leg swelling down after 3-4 days was a daily pool session. I either went to an actual aqua class or did a session in the hotel pool so was doing around 45 mins to 1 hour a day.  I went to Walmart and purchased a couple of pool noodles for less than £5 and a childs inflatable ball to help me get a good solo workout.

I had travelled on business so in the office I elevated my lower legs on a chair wherever possible.  

Flying back to the UK again my lowers swelled up and took several days to reduce - again I was going to the pool as much as I could but not as easily as in the US.  

    

No comments:

Post a Comment